Pride of the Valley was built in 1867 and was named after a local
The site that the hotel is located on used to be
common land and was used for cattle fairs prior to 1867
In the late 19th Century the area outside
the hotel was used as the venue for Jumps Days which were small village
fetes. The hotel was built to take advantage of the roads built in
the area with its passing trade and to serve the local community and
the large houses that were built along the Tilford Road.
At this time the current Dining room area was the
Coach House and the entrance to the stables was the current main entrance.
The main body of the hotel above the Dining Room was built in 1920’s
and was run by the Surrey Trust.(later to become Trust House Forte).
Lloyd George used the Hotel on regular basis whilst
entertaining guests and moved to the area permanently in 1922. He
moved into a farm called Bron y de and began fruit farming. Today
this is called the Avalon Garden Centre but his original Farm Shop
is located opposite the hotel and is maintained in good condition.
During the 1950’s Britain’s first Formula One World
Champion, Mike Hawthorn was a regular visitor to the Hotel during
the time he spent living in the local village.